When Increasing Gale or Storm No. 9 Signal No. is issued, a marked increase (over 73 M.P.H.) in wind force is being experienced or is expected.
- Stay indoors.
- Stay away from exposed windows and doors to avoid flying debris.
- Close all interior doors and make sure children are confined to the least exposed part of your home.
- Do not touch electrical cables that have been blown loose.
- You should fix broken windows and doors only when there is no danger in doing so.
- If you are away from home, find a safe place and remain there until the danger is over.
Hong Kong Observatory has operated a numbered tropical cyclone warning signal system (TCWS) since 1917 to alert the public of the wind conditions in Hong Kong. The current signal consists:
- No. 1 Standby Signal
- No. 3 Strong Wind Signal
- No. 8 Northeast Gale or Storm Signal
- No. 8 Northwest Gale or Storm signal
- No. 8 Southeast Gale or Storm Signal
- No. 8 Southwest Gale or Storm signal
- No. 9 Increasing Gale or Storm Signal
- No. 10 Hurricane Signal